Friday, May 29, 2015

My Tongue is Broken

We're back at it. Endings. Cases. И's and Ы's. Verbs of motion. The whole gamut. Russian lessons have begun... again. And through it all, God's grace is abounding (in the midst of much fear, trembling, and gnashing of teeth)!

God gave us an awesome foundation in the language a few years back when we were studying in the States. In the beginning, I struggled to learn how to read Russian as I slowly understood that "Р" was actually an "R" and "С" was "S" and that здравствуйте was a simple "hello" and пожалуйста meant "please." God gave me such grace during these early days, as well as my teacher (thank you Ira!).

As we made our initial move to Ukraine, we found ourselves in a city of Ukraine where only Ukrainian was spoken. Our brains were immediately twisted into knots as we saw the similarities between Russian and Ukrainian, but frustrated as they were too different for us, and just brought more confusion.

When we arrived in Donetsk, the Lord almost immediately provided us a teacher at Donetsk National University - where I was pushed even further into the abyss (Russian cursive only, taught on a blackboard with chalk). Our teacher in Donetsk was awesome, but at the same time, very challenging. But for the first time I started to see that I could actually speak a little. Things were starting to click. It was helpful for us to be in city that only spoke Russian as well. The Lord continued to give me the strength to push on through the 3 hour classes in the classroom with no heat and chalk dust flying everywhere, as I tried to keep up with our teacher... and not run out of the room and burst into tears.

I was starting to get excited about Russian. I was starting to understand it and it was an awesome feeling. However, just like any other Tuesday in Donetsk, we went to Russian class - without knowing that it would be our last Russian lesson in Donetsk. Just two days later, we were evacuating the city. Everything was on hold, including our Russian studies.

A few months later, while we were in the States (before Uganda), God provided us another teacher. We were so excited to have someone to speak Russian with and practice a little. Even though the lessons while we were in the States were not very intensive, God used this time to help Emily and I heal. We were so grieved for Donetsk that just speaking with someone in the language we loved from the culture we loved brought us joy and healing. The Lord is so gracious.
This is what our evenings look like now

Now, back in Kiev, we just completed our first week of Russian languages with our newest teacher. We're back at it. Reviewing the grammar that never seems to cease building on itself, with more and more exceptions to the rules, but we're loving it! Our new teacher is awesome, we're so blessed to have her. This week has been good, as we are reviewing the foundational pieces of the language, as it's been almost a year since we've studied. God continues to be so gracious and faithful as we study this difficult language (well, difficult for me at least).

Much of this summer will be dedicated to Russian studies. Please be praying with us that we can continue to learn and improve on a daily basis. Pray that we have the dedication and faithfulness that is necessary to study a language. Pray for frequent opportunities to speak and practice with people, and the courage to actually speak.

We just had a lesson this afternoon - so if you will excuse me, I need to go ice my tongue, because it broke today while I was trying figure out how to say "Switzerland." :)



"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13 


Blessings,
Byron






1 comment:

  1. I will pray for you! I SO understand. Slavic languages are so complex! From time to time I just give up - then I must decide to not allow myself to be discouraged.

    ReplyDelete