Thursday, December 10, 2015

God's Way is Always Best

God's calling on your life is always the best thing for your life, and full obedience to that calling will always be the best decision you can ever make. No other route in life is better for you, and for your family, than God's call and your complete obedience to Him.

I believe that the Lord places specific callings on people's lives. For some to be pastors, some to be evangelists, some missionaries, and so on. I also believe that His calling gets even more specific. Specific locations, specific ministries, specific daily schedules. God's calling covers every aspect of each individual life. Are we ready to obey it fully?

Over the last few months, God has been showing me something that really is so full of His goodness. Many of you have walked with us through the pain of leaving Donetsk. As the Lord has been pouring out His grace on us since we left Donetsk, He has begun to show me that His calling in my life is always the best thing for me. At the time it didn't make sense to me when He pulled us out of Donetsk. Although we heard very clearly from Him to leave, I didn't get what He was doing in our lives. But how thankful I am now that we obeyed that calling to leave Donetsk. Now, I see how that was the best thing in our lives that He could have done for us. For many reasons, both physically and spiritually. Leaving Donetsk was painful, and still is painful. We still pray for the Lord to open doors for us to return someday. But what I am saying is, that God calls us to different locations and different ministries for very specific reasons. And those callings are always full of His goodness and grace.   

"Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever" (1 Chronicles 16:34).

Being married, Emily and I make decisions together. We are not only husband and wife, but also ministry partners. The Lord is gracious to often keep us in sync and give us like-mindedness. And one of the coolest things I see God do is to place a call on both of our lives individually, and as we come together realize that He continues to speak clearly to both of us about the same calling. 

As I desire to take care of our family, of course physical needs are often high priorities. Medicine, finances, food, ect. But God has really been teaching me lately, that the very best thing I can do for Emily (and for the girls who live with us) is to fully, completely, obey the calling of God. Because He is good and He is our loving Father.

The Lord really continues to teach me to simply obey Him and to trust Him. To obey Him, above all else. It's easy to talk about full obedience. It's very easy to say that I trust Him. But the reality is shown by how my life is lived out, and even deeper than that, where my heart is at. Is my heart in full obedience and submission to Him?

As Jesus was doing ministry on the earth, He didn't only call people to believe in Him, the call goes much further than just mere belief in Him and the right understanding of doctrine. That belief needs to be played out in full obedience unto Him.

In Luke 9, three men come up to Jesus who are considering following Him. And Jesus is straight with these men. To the first man Jesus asks, whether or not he is prepared for the sacrifices that are ahead for a follower of Christ.

"Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head" (Luke 9:58).

In the second man, Jesus sees a person who isn't wanting Jesus to become Lord over all. This man's commitment to Christ wasn't vital or serious. Family matters were placed above the call from Christ of discipleship. 

"Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God" (Luke 9:60).

Finally, the third man wasn't a man of commitment. He wasn't ready to give it all up for Christ. He wasn't all in - he was halfheartedly invested. 

"No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God" (Luke 9:62).

All three of these men were willing to become followers and disciples of Jesus. Not just by word, but also by their outward deeds as well. But the Lord, who knows the heart's of men, understood that these men where not fit for discipleship. The call of Jesus wasn't the highest calling in their life. So often, aren't we the same, wanting to have the best of both worlds?  

The Lord is calling His disciples, His followers to full obedience. Don't respond to His call like that third man,  "I will follow you Lord, but..." (Luke 9:61).

As The Lord continues to work in me and to grow me in His Word, bringing me into maturity (which won't be complete until eternity), through His Spirit and by His grace, He is asking me to really, truly obey Him. In word, in deed, and in my heart. Let us be disciples that say "Yes, Lord" - period.



Blessings,
Byron



1 comment: